Checked out the Gym
On Sunday afternoon, I stopped by the local gym to find out how much a membership would be with the discount from my health insurance. The nice gentleman showed me around - a grand tour! He showed me the room for the group classes and the room for the spinning class (very nice). They have a lot of equipment for strength training and several bikes, etc. I think I'll really like that place, or at least I hope I will.
I explained that I have MS and that I have to be careful to not overheat and to watch my own limits. He told me that it won't be a problem because everyone works at their own pace. He was very understanding. I told him that my goal is not really to lose weight or build muscle - even though that would be a great added benefit. I just want to maintain movement!
I told him that my arm decided not to come to work today. I was holding my forearm across my chest because it was so uncomfortable and sore. And when he wanted to show me the mezzanine (elipticals up there) he asked if I could go up the stairs. That was nice and considerate. I told him I could, just not as fast as normal people.
The health insurance waives the initiation fee ($150) and the monthly dues are $39.99. I think I can handle that! I'm going back on Tuesday at 6:00 to complete the paperwork. And the first class that I'm in is at 6:30 - BodyFlow which is a combo of yoga, pilates and tai chi. There are a couple other things that I want to try, but I have to see how my body does first.
At Walmart I bought a pair of exercise pants (spandex) and a few sport socks. I looked up the prices of cross-training sneakers on line and I'll be going to Olympia Sports after work to get a pair. They'll be for the gym only, so that they don't get dirty.
What a weekend!
I explained that I have MS and that I have to be careful to not overheat and to watch my own limits. He told me that it won't be a problem because everyone works at their own pace. He was very understanding. I told him that my goal is not really to lose weight or build muscle - even though that would be a great added benefit. I just want to maintain movement!
I told him that my arm decided not to come to work today. I was holding my forearm across my chest because it was so uncomfortable and sore. And when he wanted to show me the mezzanine (elipticals up there) he asked if I could go up the stairs. That was nice and considerate. I told him I could, just not as fast as normal people.
The health insurance waives the initiation fee ($150) and the monthly dues are $39.99. I think I can handle that! I'm going back on Tuesday at 6:00 to complete the paperwork. And the first class that I'm in is at 6:30 - BodyFlow which is a combo of yoga, pilates and tai chi. There are a couple other things that I want to try, but I have to see how my body does first.
At Walmart I bought a pair of exercise pants (spandex) and a few sport socks. I looked up the prices of cross-training sneakers on line and I'll be going to Olympia Sports after work to get a pair. They'll be for the gym only, so that they don't get dirty.
What a weekend!

<< Home