Sunday, February 20, 2005

Definition just doesn't sound right

I was visiting with my step-grandma, Claire, today (she just moved up from Maryland to live with my father and step-mother). She has RA, which is another one of those crappy auto-immune diseases. She was telling me that with RA, you have those periods of remission and relapse, just like RRMS. But that she doesn't think of it as "RR", because it's still always there. The disease didn't go away, even if it's not showing it's ugly head.

It goes into a LATENT stage. She really hit the nail on the head! As with RA, RRMS doesn't have a remission - that would mean that it goes away, right?? And a relapse would mean that it comes back, right?? But that doesn't happen.

The MonSter is always Lurking. Mean Evil Creature.

Oh yes, I know that, in medical terms and all. But when you think about the word itself, it connotates something different. That's what I mean.

It seems like "remission" would mean that it goes away. "Latent" sounds like the MonSter is laying in wait, like a lion waiting for the perfect, most sneaky, time to pounce!
-->

<< Home