Once you tell someone, you can't take it back
Regarding a question from Carrie about why I don't tell people I have MS ~
I've personally seen how people are judged when they have any kind of chronic illness. Especially the "invisible" ones. People assume that you can't do something, automatically, without asking. I want to maintain as much independence as possible. I don't tell people who don't KNOW me. I have told a little over a handful of people at work. Since I already had relationships with these people, they took the time to listen and try to understand. I know that I can go to them if I am having a hard time with something, and they won't judge. And they never assume anything. They don't worry about not asking me to do something "just because I have MS".
I have absolutely no trouble speaking up when I can't do something, or I need help. I don't think other people should need an excuse for either of these things. Even my instructors at the gym don't know that I have MS. I don't want any kind of special treatment.
I think it's great when people can be open to others, and that they have the right kind of support when they choose to "go public". Maybe if I worked at a smaller company? I don't know. I just know that this is neither the time nor the place.
I've personally seen how people are judged when they have any kind of chronic illness. Especially the "invisible" ones. People assume that you can't do something, automatically, without asking. I want to maintain as much independence as possible. I don't tell people who don't KNOW me. I have told a little over a handful of people at work. Since I already had relationships with these people, they took the time to listen and try to understand. I know that I can go to them if I am having a hard time with something, and they won't judge. And they never assume anything. They don't worry about not asking me to do something "just because I have MS".
I have absolutely no trouble speaking up when I can't do something, or I need help. I don't think other people should need an excuse for either of these things. Even my instructors at the gym don't know that I have MS. I don't want any kind of special treatment.
I think it's great when people can be open to others, and that they have the right kind of support when they choose to "go public". Maybe if I worked at a smaller company? I don't know. I just know that this is neither the time nor the place.

<< Home