Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Peer Support Counselor for NMSS

I never even thought about being a peer counselor! What a brilliant idea. Whenever I hear about someone who has been recently diagnosed through my boyfriend (he escorts VNA nurses a couple times a week) - I always offer to talk to them if they need someone! No one's taken advantage of me yet, though. And Chris carries the MSWorld web address with him in his wallet to pass along. I know that talking with someone who actually has MS is a lot different than talking to someone who doesn't!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda's response:
I know all the drug companies have mentor programs as well. For them, you have to have more of a desire. I am a mentor for Biogen. That is all done by email. The National MS Society insists on a training to become certified as well as supervion every two weeks. I need to check in with a therapist to discuss issues about myself and my clients. Hope this clears things up for you. Give your local hospital a call, you never know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
My response:
Thanks Linda. I just completed the volunteer form on the Central New England NMSS site. We'll see what they say. I want to be available if someone needs to talk to another person with MS. Being a peer support counselor might be the best way. I called Chris' mother and asked her if she'd mind being a reference for me. She said volunteering was a great idea and was touched that I thought of her. I really appreciate you passing along all of this inside information!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda's response:
It becomes so satisfing cause these people are looking for help and they take it all in like a sponge. They are eager to learn how to live well with MS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
My response:
And I would hope that my positive attitude shines through. I love educating people about MS - friends, family. Honestly, I can talk their ear off about it! But it's never in a whiny, poor me sort of way. I'm more fascinated about the whole disease. The symptoms, the treatments, everything. I never knew anything about MS before my second exacerbation. Not even what the classic symptoms were. I think if I had known about it, I would have been fascinated even then. I just happen to be living it, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda's response:
Sounds like you have a lot of positive energy to offer those in need.
-->

<< Home