Friday, April 22, 2005

Beading Dilemma & Challenge - Game On!

I played around with my seeds last night and I made my first strand. Actually, I had to do it twice. The first time I ended up making it too long with 9 seeds of each color, and 6 seeds for the changing color blend. So the second time, it was much easier, and I used 5 seeds of each color and 4 seeds for the transition. I only have pieces of tape at the ends to hold the seeds on for now. This is going to be a multi-strand bracelet with 4 different shades of amethyst seed beads, a shiny clear seed and a couple square small beads that are amethyst (as a focal). I basically got this pattern out of the current Beading magazine called Stringing - 150 patterns. The pattern I really liked was a necklace with different shades of blue seeds with 17 strands that are loosely twisted. Since I'm making a bracelet, I'm not going to have that many strands. But it'll be several. The original pattern used cones at the ends so that the big knot of 17 strands are hidden. I'd rather avoid using cones for a bracelet, so I found some information on clam shells that are used to hide the knots, and they still have a loop for the jump ring which will attach the clasp to the strands. With a cone, you have to create your own loop!

I have to find out if it will look awful with a bunch of clam shells, because I imagine that I'll have around 10 strands. That just might be too bulky and ugly. I also have to find out how many knots I can put in each clam shell, because that might cut down on the bulkiness. Reduce it to 4 or 5 clams?

The trials and tribulations of beading! And this is my first official project, too! What did I get myself into? But I love a challenge, and that's what this is becoming. It's all apart of being a Mad Scientist!

The cones are still a back-up plan, but I'd rather save those for larger pieces.
-->

<< Home