Raising Mega Bens
What really helped with raising the Bens is that I have been a security officer in the receptionist position at the same LARGE company for almost 6 years. I've gotten to know so many great people, and they really pulled through for me.
AND
The fact that they have an amazing Employee Match program. Just in company matches alone, I raised $790. That is Tyco's money, not the individual person's! If I didn't work there, I would not have been able to raise so much.
I'm rather surprised that my family, Chris' family and our friends didn't contribute very much at all. Chris tried to "rub it" in some of his family's faces yesterday. "Oh, did you hear how much Jessica raised? $2355!" He said they didn't have much to say and quickly changed the subject.
I really don't care if people donate, or how much, but it doesn't really show me that many of my family and friends care that much about me. Unfortunately, I'm the type to remember things like that - and I will remember their non-supportiveness. Why couldn't they say that they just didn't have the extra cash to donate, but that they wish me luck/well/etc. with the walk? Avoiding it completely was the better choice, I guess.
Only one friend of mine told me that she didn't have anything to give, but she told me that she would walk with me. She ended up having to work, but that was okay - it was the thought that counts! And it counts a lot in my book.
My brother gave me $25, and he told me that before he found out that I was walking, he was planning on walking himself. That means a lot! And my mother gave me $150, and I told her that was just way too much, too generous, and not necessary. That's when she told me that she had saved quite a bit of that money when she planned on doing the MS Challenge Walk (50 miles/3 days) last year. But she had injured her ankle a couple months before the walk, so she couldn't participate. That also counts, big time!
It's those thoughts that mean so much to me. And they are worth more than any amount of money in the world!
AND
The fact that they have an amazing Employee Match program. Just in company matches alone, I raised $790. That is Tyco's money, not the individual person's! If I didn't work there, I would not have been able to raise so much.
I'm rather surprised that my family, Chris' family and our friends didn't contribute very much at all. Chris tried to "rub it" in some of his family's faces yesterday. "Oh, did you hear how much Jessica raised? $2355!" He said they didn't have much to say and quickly changed the subject.
I really don't care if people donate, or how much, but it doesn't really show me that many of my family and friends care that much about me. Unfortunately, I'm the type to remember things like that - and I will remember their non-supportiveness. Why couldn't they say that they just didn't have the extra cash to donate, but that they wish me luck/well/etc. with the walk? Avoiding it completely was the better choice, I guess.
Only one friend of mine told me that she didn't have anything to give, but she told me that she would walk with me. She ended up having to work, but that was okay - it was the thought that counts! And it counts a lot in my book.
My brother gave me $25, and he told me that before he found out that I was walking, he was planning on walking himself. That means a lot! And my mother gave me $150, and I told her that was just way too much, too generous, and not necessary. That's when she told me that she had saved quite a bit of that money when she planned on doing the MS Challenge Walk (50 miles/3 days) last year. But she had injured her ankle a couple months before the walk, so she couldn't participate. That also counts, big time!
It's those thoughts that mean so much to me. And they are worth more than any amount of money in the world!

<< Home