Monday, June 20, 2005

Lovebirds

Guess what ... we're thinking about getting birds. I originally wanted to go with finches because they jump around and are very amusing to watch. But they are not interactive birds - which is something that Chris doesn't want. He is against having an animal in a cage - especially an animal that can never be let out.

So, through the power of compromise .... we're looking at getting Lovebirds. They are part of the parrot family (and I don't want a real parrot even though Chris would die for one). These birds are beautiful, very active (in a mischievous sort of way), they interact and they can mimic sounds - but rarely words/sentences. I'm worried about how loud they may be, so I want to go to a breeder first to see them in real life and hear them. I live in a freaking apartment, and I doubt neighbors will appreciate loudness. We will definitely get a pair - not for breeding, but for companionship.

And of course, no cage can be big enough for Chris, so he's thinking of constructing his own. He wants them to have as much room as possible to freely move around while they're in the cage .... Get this ... 4'W x 3'D x 4'H. Do you think that might be just a little on the roomy side for 2 small to medium size birds? It really is a good thing, though. I don't want caged animals, either, and I want to provide as spacious of an environment as possible when we are not home.

Chris wants this cage to be made out of stainless steel, which is extremely expensive and not something we cannot afford. We're talking thousands of dollars! But there's something about galvanized steel that is very harmful (if not deadly) to birds. There's zinc in galvanized metal. But every cage that I know of is made out of this stuff - so what's the deal? I'm going to have to google around to find out more information and to see if there's some way of protecting the birds from ingesting this zinc through leaching or eating. Lovebirds (and many other birds) use their beaks like arms. Lovebirds love to climb around - they use their legs and beaks to grasp the bars.

Anyway, we're not going to rush into this. We're doing a ton of research - feeding, behavior, environment, etc. And we're going to look at local breeders. Not a quick purchase or anything - we're going to really look into them and visit a couple times.

Lovebird Picture
Another Lovebird picture
A nice story about a lovebird from an owner's point of view

Chris wants one with lots of yellow. I don't particularly care about color - as long as they are of the peach-face breed. It doesn't mean they have peach colored faces necessarily, but there's a big difference in peach and black-faced lovebirds.
-->

<< Home