Our bird adventure
After my appointment with the Urologist (in Worcester), Chris and I drove to Marlboro to check out a bird store called Feathers that I had found in the classifieds section of the bird magazines. It was a truly amazing store and we got to see cages, toys & birds in real life. This has definitely helped - we're tactile people anyway. We really liked the look of a couple King Cages. They are assembled the way we want them to be assembled, the powdercoat is 100% non-toxic to birds. I've finally talked Chris out of a stainless steel cage because they are just too pricey for us! And trying to build our own was becoming more frustrating than anything.
None of the birds in the store are for sale - they are just store birds. You have to get on a list and they deal with breeders.
Anyway, I got to see a Lovebird in action. She was alone in her cage playing around with these little balls. She was so entertaining to watch and I couldn't believe how smart she was. She knew where to place an object into the right space and it was just so neat to watch. The lady at the store was very cool and super knowledgeable! We told her that we were interested in getting a pair of Lovebirds, and she gently talked us out of it. For instance, the Lovebird that I was watching is very cruel. It was hand-fed and was wonderful with everyone until she hit her sexual maturity. Then she turned on everyone. The lady said that it happens a lot in these smaller birds, male or female, and that they weren't going to provide the level of companionship that Chris & I are looking for.
Then she pointed out the Quaker Parrot. He had been playing around with his toys, hopping in and out of the cage the whole time we were there. I could have sworn he said Tickle, but I thought I was just imagining it or he had a toy with him. Nope, he says Tickle, tickle, tickle. Their voices are very soft! But they pick up words very fast. Since I didn't know anything about Quakers, she talked to Chris and I for a good 45 minutes or so about them. They are so fascinating! I also bought a book about them while I was there. I've been gobbling up all of the information in that book - about behavior and positive reinforcement, etc.
Chris and I have settled our minds on a Quaker. Just one, boy or girl, it doesn't matter. Pairs are trouble. I didn't realized how easily amused they can be if they are given enough toys to play with. Boredom will not be a problem, and that was our main concern and the reason why we wanted a pair of Lovebirds and not just one.
The breeder for the Quakers only allows them to breed in the spring and fall. So getting one is still a couple months away. We didn't put our names on "the list" just yet, but we are really excited!
We're going to be parents!
None of the birds in the store are for sale - they are just store birds. You have to get on a list and they deal with breeders.
Anyway, I got to see a Lovebird in action. She was alone in her cage playing around with these little balls. She was so entertaining to watch and I couldn't believe how smart she was. She knew where to place an object into the right space and it was just so neat to watch. The lady at the store was very cool and super knowledgeable! We told her that we were interested in getting a pair of Lovebirds, and she gently talked us out of it. For instance, the Lovebird that I was watching is very cruel. It was hand-fed and was wonderful with everyone until she hit her sexual maturity. Then she turned on everyone. The lady said that it happens a lot in these smaller birds, male or female, and that they weren't going to provide the level of companionship that Chris & I are looking for.
Then she pointed out the Quaker Parrot. He had been playing around with his toys, hopping in and out of the cage the whole time we were there. I could have sworn he said Tickle, but I thought I was just imagining it or he had a toy with him. Nope, he says Tickle, tickle, tickle. Their voices are very soft! But they pick up words very fast. Since I didn't know anything about Quakers, she talked to Chris and I for a good 45 minutes or so about them. They are so fascinating! I also bought a book about them while I was there. I've been gobbling up all of the information in that book - about behavior and positive reinforcement, etc.
Chris and I have settled our minds on a Quaker. Just one, boy or girl, it doesn't matter. Pairs are trouble. I didn't realized how easily amused they can be if they are given enough toys to play with. Boredom will not be a problem, and that was our main concern and the reason why we wanted a pair of Lovebirds and not just one.
The breeder for the Quakers only allows them to breed in the spring and fall. So getting one is still a couple months away. We didn't put our names on "the list" just yet, but we are really excited!
We're going to be parents!

<< Home