Wednesday, July 06, 2005

We may get a Quaker Baby sooner than we thought!

It looks like we may have a Quaker much sooner than we were planning on. The lady who runs Feathers (Laura) gave our names to a friend of hers (Gerry) that also raises/hand-feeds parrots. These Quakers are from the same breeder that Feathers uses. And the breeder is going to be selling the breeding pairs to Gerry very soon.

Well, over the weekend we got a message from Gerry, telling us that she got our name from Laura and that we are highly recommended to buy a Quaker. We had several stars next to our name. She has 4 babies and they will be ready for homes in about a month. Yikes! But I didn't want to call her back until after I had talked to Feathers. I really wanted to go through all of the steps that Feathers offers - development, socialization, training, etc (because you go there 3x a week while it's being hand-fed). It turned out that this woman is highly recommended - Feathers Approved - and that I will be able to participate, just not quite to that extent. So I called up Gerry and we talked for quite awhile. Chris and I will be going to her house on Friday after I get out of work to take a look at them and see if we want one.

I'm so nervous and anxious! Chris has so much more confidence than me. I'm scared that the bird will not like me - will not bond with me. I am petrified!

I asked Gerry when she expects the next clutch and she said she really wasn't sure. There could be birds available in the fall, as originally planned, but she couldn't say for certain.

Chris and I have a lot of stuff to do to prepare. We thought that we had several more months, but now it looks like only a month. And a month is not very long at all! I have to call around to vets to see who takes care of birds. There's so much to clean, organize & bird-proof. So much stuff to get - cage, toys, food, etc. We know the exact cage we want, which comes with the playtop. It's at the Feathers store. It's stainless steel and it's $700. I wanted to wait to buy it until August 13th - which is the next scheduled Tax-Free Day in Mass.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed!

But we do have a name picked out - one that Chris has his mind made up on. I had looked up Finnish names/words because he's a Finn and I thought it would be nice if our bird had a Finn name. Of all the names I showed him, he liked Mielikki the most. Mia for short. The common meaning of mielikki is "favorite, pet, darling". I've also seen that it means "pleasant". It's basically a term of endearment.
-->

<< Home